Monday, March 28, 2016

10 Superfoods To Try Today!

So lately, I've been listening to one of my favorite raw nutrition experts, David "Avocado" Wolfe. He was my favorite speaker while I attended Integrative Nutrition in NYC. He has so much enthusiasm when he speaks. It is evident he is crazy about nutrition and how food affects our body. 

I encourage you to check out his Youtube videos, his books and his websites, www.longevitywarehouse.com and www.davidwolfe.com. He is a wealth of information that is both enlightening and life changing. 

Just because he lives a raw lifestyle does not mean that you need to adopt one too. When I was first exposed to David Wolfe, I thought I need to go raw cold turkey. So naturally, I went for it. I'm kind of all or nothing. 
(I grew up eating meat and potatoes for dinner and maybe some mixed vegetables.)
My diet was mostly raw and I rarely ate cooked food or meat. I got a few raw food cook books and explored soaking nuts and seeds and making different recipes

Eating this way definitely slimmed me down and I lost fat, but I was hungry more often, needing to eat at least every 2 hours. Over time, I felt like I had less energy. Looking back, I now know I needed to supplement with more super foods and plant sources of protein. 

I consider myself to be a protein type and tend digest protein easily. 
However, when I ate mostly raw fruits and vegetables and nuts and seeds, I felt lighter and not so foggy. My thinking was sharper and my skin was clear and vibrant. I also had less overall bloating since I was not consuming bread or dairy. 

My sugar cravings were also far less and rarely ate or craved sugar. 
One of the awesome things about eating raw is you can consume raw cacao about as often as you like. I would put it in my smoothies, mix with goji berries and make it with desserts.    

Raw cacao is beyond good for you. It is uncooked and loaded with nutrients like iron, magnesium and manganese. Nutrients that most Americans are already deficient in. So yes, chocolate is excellent for you, but the raw, unrefined kind. 

The term "super foods" are all the rage right now. Adding these to your diet would be better than taking a multivitamin. Here is a list of the super foods you can start adding into your diet without going 100% raw. 

1. Goji Berries

2. Maca

3. Bee Pollen

4.  Spirulina

5. Cacao powder  and/or nibs

6. Mucuna 

7.  Chaga  Mushroom

8. Reishi Mushroom

9. Camu Camu Berries

10. Crystal Energy  - add it to any liquid. 

I could give you a list of why you should try these out but I think you would learn so much more from his website and his YouTube videos about why these are such important super foods. Plus, he knows much more about them than I do. His website also has plenty of recipes with the above superfoods. I mostly use them in smoothie or drinks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment